Tuesday 11 January 2022

Cicada Drawing - Starring A Live Cicada! - Summer Learning Journey Wha Tekau Ma Rima

Today for Summer Learning Journey we learnt about cicadas and exoskeletons. 

An exoskeleton is the hard shell over cicadas. it is also what is on cockroaches, grasshoppers, crabs, crayfish and other shellfish! It kind of means their bones are on the outside. 

We were sent out to look for some cicada shells to create some art with. They shed their exoskeletons as they grow because the exoskeletons don't grow with them so they have to shed skin and grow new ones. My problem was I couldn't find any! I did find a real live and very friendly cicada that was happy to sit on my arm and come into my home though.

Did you know recently it was discovered that cicadas have antibacterial structures on their wings? This is being used to inspire medical advancements such as antibacterial cornea replacements! So cool! Cicadas are one of my favourite insects because there are so many cool facts about them. What's your favourite insect?

Because I couldn't find any exoskeletons, I decided to do the activity where you draw a cicada. I found it nice and easy to follow the steps and I am quite pleased with how it looks. 

for my step it up I made a cicada scroggin. Cicadas are very high in protein so they are perfect for when you are tramping because they don't take up much space and would be very light to carry. I have heard people talking about chocolate-covered cockroaches before so I thought if I covered them in chocolate and added them to a scroggin mix it would be good for a hike! I don't think I would ever eat it though! I like looking at cicadas but I don't think I would ever eat one! 

Thank you for reading my blog. Here is my Cicada drawing:


And here is my Cicada Scroggin:

1 comment:

  1. Quein

    Kia Ora

    Kylah

    WOW!!! I really enjoyed this blog post, i am very impressed with the introduction and explanation of the activity which not only builds context for your fellow bloggers it also encourages them to engage with your blog post. It was Fantastic to see that you had included interesting facts about the cicadas. I had no idea that they had antibacterial structures and that it may be used in future medicines. This shows that you have put a lot of effort and thought into the activities and blog posts. I am really impressed that you continually go the extra mile to find and research interesting facts- Ka Pai!!!

    I have only tried cicadas once whilst on a hike they tasted okay, I think it is a fantastic idea to add chocolate to them. A lot of things always taste better with chocolate. Have you ever tried eating a cooked cicada before?

    Keep up the Super work I look forward to your next blog post!!!

    Ngā mihi,

    Quein

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.