Monday 10 January 2022

Magnetic Poetry - Poetry Slam - Step It Up - Summer Learning Journey Wha Tekau Ma Rua

Today for Summer Learning Journey I remembered that I forgot to do the step it up for one of the poetry slams. I made up my own words on the template and made a haiku out of them.

Did you know that Magnetic Poetry was invented by Dave Kapell, who was a songwriter? He wrote words on pieces of paper and rearranged them, hoping to use it as a starting point for lyrics. To keep the arrangements of words from being accidentally disturbed, he thought to glue the paper to magnets.

I enjoyed making the poems because I could write whatever I want. It was also hard to make the poems because I only had certain words to use. I made sure that I had a bit of a plan before making them so it was much easier knowing which words are where.

Thank you for reading my blog. Here is my magnetic poem step it up:


Then I got my Mum to make one using my words. So here is the one my Mum made:

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Kylah!

    Thanks for sharing your new knowledge of magnetic poetry and the poems by you and your mum! Both poems really capture the essence and mood of summer that we can all relate to - especially this summer, which has been incredibly hot!
    Like you, our sprinkler has been attached a few times to a blow up water slide into our small pool which our neighbours children have also enjoyed!

    I notice that your mum's poem features surfing. Do you surf much yourself?

    Don't forget to upload your poem to the Poetry Slam website - I notice you are building quite a collection! Ka pai!

    Look forward to your reply.
    Nga mihi nui
    Naomi (Manaiakalani Facilitator)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora

    Kylah

    It is me Quein again a blog commenter for the Manaiakalani Summer Learning Journey. WOW!!! It is great to see your amazing work ethic and dedication to completing your activities at a very high standard. I love that you included the interesting fact about Dave Kapell, I had no idea that he was a songwriter. I think it is absolutely amazing that your mum also created a poem- Great Team work!!! It is fantastic that you also highlighted the nouns, verbs, adverbs, articles and adjectives. This shows that you have developed a strong understanding of poetry. You have used so many creative, powerful and positive words associated with the summertime. This is an outstanding blog post- Ka Pai!!!

    Keep up the Super work we look forward to your next blog post!!!

    Have a Super Summer!!!

    Ngā mihi,
    Quein

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.