Monday 3 January 2022

Optical Illusions - Nanogirl - Summer Learning Journey Rua Tekau Ma Ono

Today for Summer Learning Journey we had a Nanogirl task. It was on optical illusions. An optical illusion is something that deceives the eye by appearing different to what it is.

Did you know that people started doing optical illusions in 5 BC in ancient Greece? They used it in architecture and art. Did you know a rainbow is an optical illusion?

The most interesting one I made was the one Nanogirl did. I used a glass of water and a picture that I drew of an arrow. I put the paper behind the glass and it changed direction. Do you know why this happens? I'll tell you. The light changes direction each time it goes through the glass. This is called refraction and it happens because light slows down when it is behind and speeds up when it leaves the front of the glass. This is sort of hard to explain.

I really enjoyed making the optical illusions because it made me feel like a magician.  It was quite easy and I did not find anything tricky. I especially liked doing the pink paper one and tricking my Mum and Aunty with it. 

Thank you for reading my blog. Here are my Illusions on some slides:

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Kylah!


    Chris here again, from the Summer Learning Journey.

    Amazing post yet again! Thank you for going into such detail describing what you’ve done and how the illusions actually work. I knew that about the rainbow, but I didn’t know that the Ancient Greeks were some of the first people creating illusions! It’s also great that you enjoyed it, and were able to get your mum and Aunty involved in the task.

    Looking forward to seeing what else you post!


    Ngā mihi,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Kylah!

    It is Charlotte here from the SLJ commenting team!

    It is so great to see you put in so much effort into your post, Kylah! Pai mahi!

    I did not know it started in 5 BCE! Do you know what sort of optical illusions they were doing in their architecture and art?

    Refraction is a tricky concept to grasp. It is because light travels slower in water than it does in the air, which causes the shapes to change and distort! Water is more dense than the air (it is harder to walk in water than normally right?), so everything slows down in water! You should try putting a straw or stick behind the water and see how it looks!

    The arrow optical illusion is amazing! It took a while for my eyes to adjust and see the other arrows! And the pink paper?? I was so confused! When I watched the video of you showing how it’s done, I was thinking ‘Ahh of course!’. Was your mum and aunty confused also?

    Keep up the amazing mahi, Kylah!

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Charlotte :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.