Tuesday 4 January 2022

Magnetic Poems - Poetry Slam - Summer Learning Journey Rua Tekau Ma Whetu

Today for Summer Learning Journey we had a Poetry Slam task. We had to make magnetic poems. When I first saw it I had no idea what it meant! I looked at the google drawing and it seemed quite hard to do so I typed and printed all the words, cut them up and made them on my lounge floor.

Did you know that Magnetic Poetry was invented by Dave Kapell, who was a songwriter? He wrote words on pieces of paper and rearranged them, hoping to use it as a starting point for lyrics. To keep the arrangements of words from being accidentally disturbed, he thought to glue the paper to magnets.

I enjoyed making the poems because I could write whatever I want. It was also hard to make the poems because I only had certain words to use. I made sure that I had a bit of a plan before making them so it was much easier knowing which words are where.

Thank you for reading my blog. Here is my magnetic poem:

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Kylah!


    Chris here again, from the Summer Learning Journey.

    Thank you for all your explanation! I feel like poetry is never easy, and there’s no “right” way to do it. It’s all about seeing what each person produces. I really like this one, especially the ending, very clever! Have you and you family had much chance to get out and enjoy summer so far? Also know, I did not know about Dave Kapell, thank you for sharing!

    Looking forward to seeing what else you post!


    Ngā mihi,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.