Wednesday 12 January 2022

Ice Art Summer Learning Journey Wha Tekau Ma Ono

Yesterday for Summer Learning Journey we made ice art. We had to go and collect things from nature and then place them in water which we put into the freezer overnight

This task was inspired by Russian artist Evgeny Honour, who makes resin animals that look like they are ice! As soon as I read the activity I remembered we have these bug cupcake silicone moulds which I thought would be perfect for this activity, so I got to work looking for some little bits from nature outside my home. 

For the step it up activity we had to learn about the rule of thirds which means you have the focus or your photography or art to the third of the picture, not centred. I did this activity in a container but I found it really difficult to keep the flowers from floating away so it didn't turn out exactly how I planned because even once it was in the freezer it had moved a little bit so I am not really that happy with how it looks now. If I did it again I would try with a little bit less water so the flowers have less water to float away in. I had designed the ice art to have what looked like a flowering plant growing at the third mark. We were also to use the rule of odds, which means that you always put an odd number of everything there so everything inside my ice art is an odd number!  

Even though I used cooled boiled water, the water was a bit cloudy coming out of the freezer. maybe next time I would put the boiled water in the fridge after so that it's really cold boiled water!

I am really happy with how the dragonfly turned out, I think that's my favourite one! The ladybird got a bit more cloudy and I used light flowers in it so it's harder to see the flowers inside it. 

Thank you for reading my blog, Here is my ice art:

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora

    Kylah

    It is me Quein again a blog commenter for the Manaiakalani Summer Learning Journey. This is another amazing blog post. We are really impressed by your strong work ethic and with your amazing engagement with the SLJ. Once again I am very impressed that you researched and added an interesting feature which was that this form of artwork was inspired by Evgeny Honour. This post shows that you have strong analytical skills that will allow you to synthesize large amounts of information one day. I really enjoyed the creativity that you put into your work. Yes I agree the dragon fly one looks the best. You have done amazing work here and we really appreciate the amount of thought anf effort you put into completing the activities, sharing your work and being really thoughtful when writing the fantastic layout of your blog- KA PAI!!!!
    I have never tried this before although it reminds me of the movie Frozen. Do you have any suggestions for your fellow bloggers who would like to give it a go?

    Keep up the Super work I look forward to your next blog post!!!

    Ngā mihi,

    Quein

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.